noun (plural vittae /ˈvitē, ˈvitī/)
- 1 Botany An oil tube in the fruit of some plants.More example sentences
- The triglyceride and essential oil are located in separate, well-defined compartments, the seed endosperm and vittae, respectively.
- In L. juncta, each pale yellow elytron has five black vittae, with vitta 1 bordering sutural margin and extending from just below the base to the apex.
- The mericarp of Heracleum mantegazzianum can be distinguished from other similar fruits in the genus by its conspicuously expanded vittae.
early 19th century: from Latin, literally 'band, chaplet'.
More definitions of vittaDefinition of vitta in:
- The British & World English dictionary