- 1A female fox.More example sentences
- Gibbons says the females, or vixens, have a disturbing habit of making bloodcurdling screams in winter.
- As the vixen's oestrus draws to a close, the dog fox stops guarding her and changes his behaviour dramatically, rapidly expanding into the neighbouring territories.
- Now the vixen snapped at the dog's heels, so he turned on her and found himself harried again by her brother.
- 1.1A spiteful or quarrelsome woman.More example sentences
- He uses examples from a biblical hall of fame of female villains and vixens - Delilah is one - to warn women not to engage in various forms of deceit or trickery to land, or keep, a man.
late Middle English fixen, perhaps from the Old English adjective fyxen 'of a fox' The v- is from the form of the word in southern English dialect.