1Mute; speechless: how could he have remained voiceless in the face of her cruelty?
More example sentences
- He was born disabled and voiceless with a gaze permanently haunted by a look of terror.
- An operation for goitre has left her voiceless.
- Hardly any other Arab or Muslim characters appear, with the exception of extras playing voiceless villagers or servants.
1.2(Of a person or group) lacking the power or right to express an opinion or exert control over affairs.
- That was unexpected, there was so much support out there for me, but actually it was not for me personally, just the disenfranchised voiceless people out there who truly have concern for the world.
- What about our ethical role in protecting these otherwise voiceless people?
- I feel helpless and in despair when I think of my whole family and the 100,000 voiceless residents who have been living around the sugar factories of Ethiopia.
1.3 Phonetics (Of a speech sound) uttered without resonance of the vocal cords, e.g., f as opposed to v, p as opposed to b, and s as opposed to z.
- Neither Mandarin Chinese nor Tibetan distinguishes phonologically between voiced and voiceless obstruent initials, unlike Dzongkha and, for example, English.
- In English, /h/ is like a voiceless vowel in that there is no fricative-like narrowing in the mouth, so that the greatest point of narrowing is in the glottis.
- More generally, voiceless obstruents are more frequent in onset position than voiced obstruents.
- Example sentences
- And throughout all of this, Morgan, her Signature Officer, stood on the other side of the doorway, mouthing the phrase to her voicelessly over and over again.
- Earning my wages equates to obeying voicelessly, orders and commands hurled at me by a whole range of big - bellied higher ups.
- Example sentences
- Often the breeding ground is that of exclusion, of oppression, of poverty - a sense of voicelessness in the councils of the world and hopelessness for the future, fanned and exploited by the wilful misuse of religious faith and fervour.
- Like many foreign supporters of Cuban socialism who visit Cuba today, he recognizes the frustration that many Cubans feel over their voicelessness in a system that seems to respond to its people less and less.
- Still, I was bothered by the voicelessness that I was experiencing.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of voiceless in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.