Definition of volatilize in English:
1Cause (a substance) to evaporate or disperse in vapor.
- All of the jewelers used compressed-gas torches to heat-manipulate metals; in the process, metals were volatilized and subsequently condensed on nearby surfaces.
- When the trichomes were fully developed, the compounds were volatilized and only residues were responsible for an orange fluorescence in the cell wall area.
- Essential oils can be distinguished from fatty oils because they can be volatilised by heat and will evaporate.
1.1 [no object] Become volatile; evaporate.
- Mercury can access the brain by volatilizing from dental fillings, or by crossing the blood-brain barrier after becoming absorbed from foods.
- After they are applied, many pesticides volatilize into the lower atmosphere, a process that can continue for days, weeks, or months after the application, depending on the compound.
- Avoid applying herbicides on windy days, and avoid using herbicides that volatilize or move through the soil easily.
- Example sentences
- As the water in the boiler is being heated to produce steam, any volatilizable chemical components present in the water will boil off and combine with the steam being evolved.
- The main object of coking is to free the bituminous coal from impurities water, hydrocarbons and volatilizable sulphur - leaving in the coke fixed carbon, ash, and the non-volatilizable sulphur.
- It is obviously inapplicable to substances whose virtues depend in any considerable degree upon readily volatilizable constituents.
- Example sentences
- Temperatures of 30°C and higher result in the loss of much of the fruity ester complex through hydrolysis and volatilization and its replacement by substances which smell ‘cooked’.
- In contrast, many of us are familiar with the pleasant smell of a good whisky or brandy, which also results from the volatilization of certain organic molecules.
- Urea and nitrogen solutions can lose nitrogen to the atmosphere through ammonia volatilization when surface-applied to high residue soils.
Pronunciation: /ˌväləd(ə)ləˈzāSH(ə)n/ /ˌväləd(ə)lˌīˈzāSH(ə)n/noun
Definition of volatilize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.