Definition of volatilize in English:
1Cause (a substance) to evaporate or disperse in vapor.
- All of the jewelers used compressed-gas torches to heat-manipulate metals; in the process, metals were volatilized and subsequently condensed on nearby surfaces.
- When the trichomes were fully developed, the compounds were volatilized and only residues were responsible for an orange fluorescence in the cell wall area.
- Essential oils can be distinguished from fatty oils because they can be volatilised by heat and will evaporate.
1.1 [no object] Become volatile; evaporate.
- Mercury can access the brain by volatilizing from dental fillings, or by crossing the blood-brain barrier after becoming absorbed from foods.
- After they are applied, many pesticides volatilize into the lower atmosphere, a process that can continue for days, weeks, or months after the application, depending on the compound.
- Avoid applying herbicides on windy days, and avoid using herbicides that volatilize or move through the soil easily.
- Example sentences
- As the water in the boiler is being heated to produce steam, any volatilizable chemical components present in the water will boil off and combine with the steam being evolved.
- The main object of coking is to free the bituminous coal from impurities water, hydrocarbons and volatilizable sulphur - leaving in the coke fixed carbon, ash, and the non-volatilizable sulphur.
- It is obviously inapplicable to substances whose virtues depend in any considerable degree upon readily volatilizable constituents.
- Example sentences
- Temperatures of 30°C and higher result in the loss of much of the fruity ester complex through hydrolysis and volatilization and its replacement by substances which smell ‘cooked’.
- In contrast, many of us are familiar with the pleasant smell of a good whisky or brandy, which also results from the volatilization of certain organic molecules.
- Urea and nitrogen solutions can lose nitrogen to the atmosphere through ammonia volatilization when surface-applied to high residue soils.
Definition of volatilize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan