noun (plural voluptuaries)
- A person devoted to luxury and sensual pleasure.More example sentences
- The novel's Italians are listless voluptuaries, its Germans are dedicated and earnest, its nuns are whores or maniacs and its censors are libidinously thrilled by the material they censor.
- Forget purported health benefits of vegetarian meals, this is a dish for voluptuaries.
- The 1963 cult film classic introduced a cast of campy and erotic voluptuaries, some of them drag queens, in a series of beautiful and delirious tableaus.
adjectiveBack to top
early 17th century: from Latin volupt(u)arius, from voluptas 'pleasure'.
More definitions of voluptuaryDefinition of voluptuary in:
- The British & World English dictionary