- A green, single-celled aquatic organism that forms minute, free-swimming spherical colonies.
More example sentences
- Genus Volvox, division Chlorophyta (or phylum Chlorophyta, kingdom Protista)
- One of the prettiest creatures you may catch sight of is a tumbling, crystalline, globe-shaped alga known as volvox.
- And they grow baby volvoxes inside the sphere and, when they are big enough, the parent volvox opens and out comes the baby ready to begin life on its own.
- We used a projection microscope to watch their movements, including the bursting of ‘daughter’ volvoxes from the parent sphere.
modern Latin, from Latin volvere 'to roll'.
More definitions of volvoxDefinition of volvox in:
- The British & World English dictionary