Definition of wagtail in English:
A slender Eurasian and African songbird with a long tail that is frequently wagged up and down, typically living by water.
- Family Motacillidae: two genera, in particular Motacilla, and several species
- Both pipits and wagtails bathe in shallow standing water.
- There's a bench here and you could spend time looking out for moorhens, coots, wagtails and warblers, and the fish that attract them.
- They are ground birds, with very long hind toes and claws, like those of skylarks, and they have a habit of running about like wagtails, though without flicking their tails.
Definition of wagtail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India