Definition of waistcoat in English:
1A vest, especially one worn by men over a shirt and under a jacket.
- The shirt and the leather waistcoat I'm wearing are what I had on when the crash happened.
- The second man had black hair, and wore a waistcoat over a white shirt.
- He dresses in immaculately pressed shalwar kameez and waistcoat - sheer Afghan chic.
1.1 historical A man’s quilted long-sleeved garment worn under a doublet in the 16th and 17th centuries.
- Attired in an embroidered scarlet waistcoat and gold breeches, her rescuer withdrew one shining buckled shoe disdainfully from underneath the young man.
- One silk waistcoat is displayed with the accompanying silk knee breeches.
- Before her stood an older gentleman of an earlier era, decked in a green embroidered waistcoat and silk stockings with buckled shoes.
Definition of waistcoat in:
- British & World English dictionary