Definition of waistcoat in English:
1A vest, especially one worn by men over a shirt and under a jacket.
- The shirt and the leather waistcoat I'm wearing are what I had on when the crash happened.
- The second man had black hair, and wore a waistcoat over a white shirt.
- He dresses in immaculately pressed shalwar kameez and waistcoat - sheer Afghan chic.
1.1 historical A man’s quilted long-sleeved garment worn under a doublet in the 16th and 17th centuries.
- Attired in an embroidered scarlet waistcoat and gold breeches, her rescuer withdrew one shining buckled shoe disdainfully from underneath the young man.
- One silk waistcoat is displayed with the accompanying silk knee breeches.
- Before her stood an older gentleman of an earlier era, decked in a green embroidered waistcoat and silk stockings with buckled shoes.
Words that rhyme with waistcoatgreatcoat • petticoat
Definition of waistcoat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan