Definition of wait up in English:
1Not go to bed until someone arrives or something happens.
- Manager Don Givens waited up until 4am for the player to return to HQ, at which point he gave up and went to bed.
- Thousands of Swindon youngsters will be eagerly waiting up for Santa to drop down the chimney tonight.
- If you're waiting up all night for a husband who comes home after the kids are in bed, you might feel you're missing out.
2North American Go more slowly or stop until someone catches up.
- I sassed when he caught up with me as I didn't wait up for him like he asked me too.
- We rode towards Baker Lake, but before reaching the lake stopped to wait up for Michael and Cathy.
- Katrina stared open-mouthed and then after a moment of hesitation, she followed Ashley, shouting for her to wait up.
stop, slow down, hold on, wait for me
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan