Definition of waiter in English:
1A man whose job is to serve customers at their tables in a restaurant.
- Arriving passengers greet their cabin stewards and table waiters like long-lost family friends with smiling handshakes, hugs and much backslapping.
- Lauren and I went to Osteria tonight and the waiters outnumbered the customers.
- The waiters serve the women at each table first.
2A person who waits for a time, event, or opportunity.
- Mr McMahon said all of the long waiters in the eastern region should be given an opportunity to be treated under the fund and a record kept of those who don't wish to be involved in the scheme.
- Although the Trust achieved its target of having no over 12 month waiters, 299 patients had been waiting longer than nine months at the end of March.