1A telephone call made according to a prior arrangement to wake the person called.
- Before drifting off to sleep, Horatio mentally placed a wake-up call and his mind neared consciousness.
- She requests a wake-up call but wakes before the designated time.
- Monday, 7.30 am: Myself and room partner Gary Bollan are stirred into life by the loudest wake-up call known to man.
1.1A person or thing that causes people to become fully alert to an unsatisfactory situation and to take action to remedy it: today’s statistics will be a wake-up call for the administration
More example sentences
- This was the wake-up call that Newry needed and in the 24th minute they almost got the equaliser when Curran's cross was met by Maguire.
- It was a final wake-up call to change my lifestyle.
- But in 1992, Airbus executives received an unwelcome wake-up call.
Definition of wake-up call in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.