Definition of wake-up call in English:
1A telephone call made according to a prior arrangement to wake the person called.
- Before drifting off to sleep, Horatio mentally placed a wake-up call and his mind neared consciousness.
- She requests a wake-up call but wakes before the designated time.
- Monday, 7.30 am: Myself and room partner Gary Bollan are stirred into life by the loudest wake-up call known to man.
1.1A person or thing that causes people to become fully alert to an unsatisfactory situation and to take action to remedy it: today’s statistics will be a wake-up call for the administration
More example sentences
- This was the wake-up call that Newry needed and in the 24th minute they almost got the equaliser when Curran's cross was met by Maguire.
- It was a final wake-up call to change my lifestyle.
- But in 1992, Airbus executives received an unwelcome wake-up call.
Definition of wake-up call in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia