Definition of wallaby in English:
noun (plural wallabies)
An Australasian marsupial that is similar to, but smaller than, a kangaroo.
- Family Macropodidae: several genera and numerous species, including the agile wallaby (Macropus agilis)
- And all these animals lived there-big glider possums, pygmy possums, koalas, kangaroos and wallabies, wombats, platypus, just everything in the trees, on the ground and in the creeks.
- It is also my first chance to see the wonderfully unique wildlife here; kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, pademelons, possums, and various unique birds.
- So the extension of the term ‘marsupial’ is the set of all marsupials: kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, and so on.
Early 19th century: from Dharuk walabi or waliba.
Definition of wallaby in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.