Definition of walnut in English:
- Roasted pecans, walnuts, or pumpkin seeds are a nice addition.
- All I remembered about the salad was Roquefort, fennel, walnuts, Burgundy-poached pears, and dried figs on the greens.
- I combined the skin chunks with toasted walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and a bit of spices.
- Genus Juglans, family Juglandaceae: several species, including the common (or English) walnut (J. regia) and the black walnut (J. nigra)
- If you pick a walnut from a walnut tree and find it extremely difficult to crack, it shouldn't come as any surprise, as walnuts are literally one of the toughest nuts to crack.
- Then Walter Jacob described how he and his brother had constructed a Philadelphia Chippendale style high - boy from a walnut tree for the tree's owner.
- A simple cemented courtyard around the walnut tree offers five pine table and bench sets, each for six to eight people.
For the Anglo-Saxons and other ancient peoples of northern Europe the walnut was the ‘foreign nut’. The nut they knew was the hazelnut, and walnuts would have been exotic imports from the Roman world of the south. The wal- part comes from Volcae, the Latin name for a particular Celtic tribe that the Germanic peoples came to use for all Celts (it is where Welsh (Old English) and Wales come from) and eventually for anyone not of Germanic stock.
Definition of walnut in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.