Definition of wander in English:
- Serious traffic accidents were narrowly avoided as numerous motorists were forced to swerve to avoid the animals that were wandering along the main road at Fossa.
- We turned a corner of the road and wandered down another street much the same as the others.
- He wandered on down the road, tears streaming down his cheeks, the questions whirling in his brain.
- The company ate their food and began to slowly in little groups wander off outside the cave.
- As we lay down in our sleeping bags, we slowly let our minds wander off and let our thoughts seek peace.
- His attention's always seeking to wander off: it's only in a crisis that he feels he is where he wants to be.
- While wandering the area you can explore the Tipi maze, petting zoo, live music, and pumpkin patch.
- He wandered the seedy areas with his eyes wide open and his camera at the ready.
- When he's not here, I often see him just wandering the area.
- Before contraception, many people did not feel they could wander from relationship to relationship and so they worked on the one they had, they made an effort.
- They expect the spark to be everlasting, they expect eyes to never wander, etc.
nounBack to top
- We got off at the south end of the loop and had a wander around breathing the place in, before heading for the art institute.
- So before I go have a wander over for a visit, here are some linky dinks.
- Then, when I get back I'll be house sitting up in Paekakariki - so drop me an email if you want to come and visit for lunch and a wander on the beach.
wand from (Middle English):
A word from Old Norse, and related to wend (Old English) and wind (Old English) ‘to move in a twisting way’—the basic idea seems to be of a supple, flexible stick. Wand did not have any connection with wizards and spells until about 1400, some 200 years after it was first used. Wander (Old English), ‘to move in a leisurely or aimless way’, comes from a similar root.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.