- 1Lacking in a certain required or necessary quality: they weren’t wanting in confidence their products would be found wanting in a direct comparisonMore example sentences
deficient, inadequate, lacking, insufficient, imperfect, unacceptable, unsatisfactory, flawed, faulty, defective, unsound, substandard, inferior, second-rate, poor, shoddylacking, deprived of, devoid of, bereft of, in need of, out of; deficient in, short on• informal minus
- In this area, Morrison was found wanting time and time again.
- We urge them to ensure this experiment is monitored continuously and, if found wanting, amended immediately.
- The standard of tax office internal safeguards, repeatedly found wanting, are again in question.
- 1.1Not existing or supplied; absent: the kneecap is wanting in amphibians and reptilesMore example sentences
- Economically told, this is the kind of short that leaves you wanting more.
- It was just a long enough kiss to give me a taste, but just a short enough kiss to leave me wanting more, short enough that it didn't quench my need.
- If anything, the short, sharp shock of its visceral blues-punk left you wanting more - and more duly arrives in the shape of this follow-up.