noun (plural same)
- An endowment made by a Muslim to a religious, educational, or charitable cause.More example sentences
- Characterizes Palestine as an Islamic waqf (pious endowment), so no portion of it can be relinquished.
- In Arabic, a waqf implies a religious endowment fund, which renders a property unalienable, incapable of being surrendered or transferred.
- In many Muslim lands women have been systematically denied their inheritance rights under Islamic law, either by family pressures or by legal devices such as the family waqf or trust.
from Arabic, literally 'stoppage, immobilization (of ownership of property)', from waqafa 'come to a standstill'.
More definitions of waqfDefinition of waqf in:
- The British & World English dictionary