Definition of warehouse in English:
1A large building where raw materials or manufactured goods may be stored before their export or distribution for sale.
- Driving across rural Iowa is like driving through the warehouse and light manufacturing district of a great city.
- At present most of the site is used as a distribution warehouse and very little manufacturing is carried out.
- Wroughton farmers are to turn two old grain stores into a modern warehouse for storage and distribution.
1.1A large wholesale or retail store: a discount warehouse
More example sentences
- By the time his first son was born James Lever was managing a wholesale grocer's warehouse and shop on Manor Street, near where Bank Street crossed the Croal.
- Some Continental glass, currently sold at markets and discount warehouses, is advertised as hand-cut, but a close examination of the surface will reveal the flow marks of pressed glass.
- The main types of stores that tend to fill up our retail warehouses are DIY stores, furniture stores, computer stores and toy stores, according to Cormac Kennedy.
Pronunciation: /ˈwerˌhouz/ /ˈwerhous/[with object] Back to top
1Store (goods) in a warehouse.
- It is almost as expensive to hold, move and warehouse things as to produce them.
- Plenty of food grains are publicly financed and publicly warehoused.
- Last year, Tina marketed a product for which she had no manufacturing costs, and which her suppliers warehoused for her, at her clients' expense, until delivery.
1.2North American informal Place (someone, typically a prisoner or a psychiatric patient) in a large, impersonal institution in which their problems are not satisfactorily addressed.
- Outside of lockdown, captives are warehoused like cattle.
- Prisoners being warehoused in extremely dangerous, volatile, brutal and often explosive environments where absolutely no sanctuary is available.
- Most of the fights occur in the minimum and medium security facilities because more inmates are warehoused together in order for the jail to keep their costs down.
Words that rhyme with warehousepenthouse • guesthouse
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.