1Inform someone in advance of an impending or possible danger, problem, or other unpleasant situation: [with object]: his father had warned him of what might happen [with direct speech]: “He’s going to humiliate you,” John warned [with clause]: the union warned that its members were close to going on strike
More example sentences
- The report also warned of the dangers of failing to improve the lot of ordinary Iraqis.
- It was a habit left over from the old days when the king and his ministers were thus warned of danger.
- Because of the possible dangers we are warning customers not to use them.
1.1Give someone forceful or cautionary advice about their actions or conduct: [with object]: friends warned her against the marriage [with object and infinitive]: they warned people not to keep large amounts of cash in their homes [no object]: they warned against false optimism
More example sentences
- Police are warning drivers to remain cautious today after a winter storm dumped as much as 14 inches of snow on parts of eastern Virginia.
- Whatever the reason, Shuggy's behaviour eventually prompted a police caution, warning him that if he didn't calm down then he would be in serious trouble.
- Police are warning the public to be cautious when opening their door to strangers.
warn someone off
- Advise someone forcefully against (a particular thing or course of action): he has been warned off boozeMore example sentences
- While many shunned the Ayrshire stockbroker during his period of exile from the tracks - he was warned off for ten years for his part in scandal.
- Just as he is about to get to the bottom of the affair, he is warned off by the American ambassador in Saigon.
- Now when John Main began has explorations into meditation he was warned off that path by his own order, was he not?
- More example sentences
- The helicopter's electronic warfare systems include a radar warning receiver, laser warning receiver, missile approach warner and chaff and flare dispensers.
- The laser warner provides broadband laser frequency coverage to detect and display rangefinding, designating and missile guidance laser threats.
- The defensive aids suite could include a radar warner, missile launch and approach warner, and chaff and flare decoy dispensers.