noun(also rabbit warren)
1A network of interconnecting rabbit burrows.
- Its interest is that within it survive all the elements of a medieval forest: great timber trees, coppice woods, pollards, scrub, grassland and fen, deer and cattle, and a rabbit warren.
- The officials and other 20 walkers were gone, leaving Norm to make his own way through the rabbit warren to the track.
- If, for instance, you need to clear a rabbit warren, you have to ensure that there is not a badger down there too - they are protected animals.
1.1A densely populated or labyrinthine building or district: a warren of narrow gas-lit streets
More example sentences
- In a warren of hangar-sized hotel ballrooms in Orlando, military engineers this week showed off their next generation of robots, as they got the machines ready for the war zone.
- The insurgents still had strongholds in the north-western district of Jolan, a warren of narrow streets.
- Of the synagogues they built and rebuilt, four still nestle in this timeless Turkish warren, two as museums.
1.2British historical An enclosed piece of land set aside for breeding game, especially rabbits.
- They were also kept in warrens, enclosed areas of land in which they could feed and burrow, and from whence they were conveniently caught.
- At first rabbits were managed in warrens, but before long they escaped into the countryside.
- It is thought Zac had gone into an unused rabbit or fox warren.
Words that rhyme with warrensporran
American family of physicians. Joseph Warren ( 1741–75), a patriot active in the events leading up to the American Revolution, was killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill. His brother John Warren ( 1753–1815) was a leading medical practitioner in New England and a surgeon in the American Revolution. John Collins Warren ( 1778–1856), the son of John Warren, helped to found Massachusetts General Hospital in 1811.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan