Definition of wasabi in English:
A Japanese plant with a thick green root that tastes like strong horseradish and is used in cooking, especially in powder or paste form as an accompaniment to raw fish.
- Eutrema wasabi, family Brassicaceae
- Sashimi consists of cuts of the finest raw fish and seafood garnished with crisp shreds of daikon and dipped into soy sauce and the hot, green Japanese horseradish called wasabi.
- It comes with slices of sweet pickled ginger and a dish of salty soy sauce and fiery-hot wasabi (a green paste, similar to horseradish).
- Isothiocyanates are also found in cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli and Brussels sprouts, and wasabi, the Japanese condiment.
Early 20th century: from Japanese.
Definition of wasabi in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.