A very narrow or tightly corseted waist.
- Fashion in clothes often influences body shape - witness the corset and the wasp waist.
- The wasp waist becomes the focus as the tie dye velvet jacket is teamed with a full pleated skirt creating a feminine feel.
- The look defines a determined woman; a woman who carries off a classically man-tailored suit complete with tie and asserts her femininity with a sheer silk blouse and wasp waist.
- Example sentences
- The family gathers in front of the house, the mother in her wasp-waisted dress a picture of 1950s domesticity as she repeatedly leads a child down the walk.
- The stone statues of the abstract Union Soldier grow slimmer and younger each year - wasp-waisted, they doze over muskets and muse through their sideburns.
- His wasp-waisted, long-limbed figures express the era's aspirations and opulence with disarming force.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: wasp waist
Definition of wasp waist in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.