- A device in a turbocharger that regulates the pressure at which exhaust gases pass to the turbine by opening or closing a vent to the exterior.More example sentences
- Gases passed through the supercharger and out the wastegate, after driving the turbine bucket wheel.
- Its turbocharged, 698 cc, three-cylinder engine makes a fluttering sound every time you back off the throttle, caused by the turbo's wastegate releasing pressurised exhaust gases.
- Plus you can use the electric motor to eliminate the need for a separate wastegate, eliminate throttle lag, and take advantage of an air bearing's lower friction by using a smaller motor/generator unit.
More definitions of wastegateDefinition of wastegate in:
- The British & World English dictionary