Definition of watchman in English:
noun (plural watchmen)
1A man employed to look after an empty building, especially at night.
- The fences and barriers, speed bumps and empty watchmen's huts are the trappings of wealth, the buffers of avarice.
- The watchman from the previous night caught my eyes and I knew that brushing it off as a simple misunderstanding wasn't a possibility.
- For a moment I wondered if he secretly worked night shift as a watchman.
1.1 historical A member of a body of people employed to keep watch in a town at night.
- During the night, watchmen in the town watched lights flicker all over the mountain in the distance.
- If you stay long enough, you will hear mournful strains from a lone bugle - it is played every hour in memory of the watchman whose trumpeted warning of an invasion was silenced by a Turkish arrow.
- Several of the watchmen came down from the towers to confer with the king and his knights inside the castle.
Words that rhyme with watchmanwatchmen
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.