Any of a large number of beetles that live in fresh water.
- Several families, in particular Dytiscidae (the predatory diving beetles) and Hydrophilidae (scavenging beetles)
More example sentences
- In this particular water, we know that we have small water beetle, you probably have some of the nymphs of the damsel fly, towards the mid stages of production at the moment.
- Nationwide, it is hoped the scheme will boost the habitats of species such as the grey partridge, twite, natterjack toad, sandbowl snail and lesser silver water beetle.
- She pointed out damselfly larva, water beetles, tadpoles, backswimmers, dragon fly larva and snails as they circled around in our tiny sample of the marsh.
Definition of water beetle in:
- The British & World English dictionary