Definition of water fern in English:
1A small aquatic or semiaquatic fern that is either free-floating or anchored by the roots, found chiefly in tropical and warm countries.
- Families Azollaceae, Marsileaceae and Salviniaceae: many species, in particular the minute floating Azolla filiculoides of tropical America, which has been naturalized elsewhere
- Genomic downsizing is suggested for the heterosporous water ferns and for the aquatic fern Ceratopteris.
- However, both water ferns and Selaginella are also heterosporous, unlike any other pteridophytes except Isoetales.
- Thick mass of Trapa, an economically important free floating plant called Singhari by the local people, besides water ferns, duckweeds etc can be seen almost everywhere.
Definition of water fern in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan