Definition of water hemlock in English:
A highly poisonous plant of the parsley family that grows in ditches and marshy ground. Also called cowbane.
- Genus Cicuta, family Umbelliferae: several species, in particular the North American C. maculata (also called water hemlock (see cowbane))
- Like Homo sapiens, animals take important cues from smell and know to stay away from flowers like the dreaded Douglas water hemlock, whose broad white blossoms contain coniine, which is deadly.
- The lower part of the stem of water hemlock is divided into chambers which contain its toxicant.
- The roots of water hemlock, which resemble parsnips, are sometimes eaten accidentally by humans.
Definition of water hemlock in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia