- A highly poisonous plant of the parsley family that grows in ditches and marshy ground. Also called cowbane.
More example sentences
- Genus Cicuta, family Umbelliferae: several species, in particular the North American C. maculata (also called (see cowbane))
- Like Homo sapiens, animals take important cues from smell and know to stay away from flowers like the dreaded Douglas water hemlock, whose broad white blossoms contain coniine, which is deadly.
- The lower part of the stem of water hemlock is divided into chambers which contain its toxicant.
- The roots of water hemlock, which resemble parsnips, are sometimes eaten accidentally by humans.
More definitions of water hemlockDefinition of water hemlock in:
- The British & World English dictionary