- (In folklore and classical mythology) a nymph inhabiting or presiding over water, especially a Naiad or Nereid.More example sentences
- Cyane, a water nymph who pitied Proserpine, tried to block Pluto's entrance to the Underworld, but he used his powers to make a hole in the earth and descend to his realm despite her.
- On the surface, Rusalka is just another variation on the classic fairy tale of the water nymph that falls in love with a human and brings disaster upon herself and on her beloved when she becomes a human.
- Once, however, Arethusa was not water or even a water nymph but a fair young huntress and a follower of Artemis.
More definitions of water nymphDefinition of water nymph in:
- The British & World English dictionary