Definition of waterborne in English:
1Conveyed by, traveling on, or involving travel or transportation on water.
- The Coast Guard provides all of our waterborne and airborne transportation to our stations from the closest Coast Guard facility.
- But just as the red spots on the map disappeared during the second half of the 20th century, so did waterborne travellers, as everyone took to the skies.
- They are both capable of the effective launch, control and recovery of vehicles for extended periods, however the strategy for launch and recovery for waterborne craft and for aircraft are different in the two designs.
1.1(Of a disease) communicated or propagated by contaminated water.
- Major efforts to improve access to drinking water across India have not been matched by proportionate declines in deaths and illnesses from waterborne diseases, which remain grossly underestimated, a new government report has said.
- Snow's deduction that cholera was a waterborne disease that could be spread from person to person was remarkable in that it ran counter to this theory and predated the discovery of microbes by 30 years.
- Bottled water is another of the modern paradoxes of health - a product born out of our success at reducing waterborne disease.
Definition of waterborne in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.