Definition of watermelon in English:
1The large melonlike fruit of a plant of the gourd family, with smooth green skin, red pulp, and watery juice.
- Where available raccoons may also eat peaches, plums, figs, citrus fruits, watermelons, beech nuts, and walnuts.
- The fertile soil of the valleys produces a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, including citrus, sugarcane, watermelons, bananas, yams, and beans.
- As we tuck into a colourful platter of fresh pineapple, watermelon, kiwi fruit, pears and bananas on the veranda, she cooks up sausages, bacon and pancakes.
2The widely cultivated African plant that yields the watermelon.
- Citrullus lanatus, family Cucurbitaceae
- The virus comes in two forms - one causes disease in cucurbits (cucumbers, watermelons, etc) and is already prevalent in Rarotonga, while the other affects both papaya and cucurbits.
Words that rhyme with watermelonVeblen • Declan
Definition of watermelon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan