Definition of waterworks in English:
1 [treated as singular] An establishment for managing a water supply.
- Sources said that almost all schools in the village did not get water supply from the waterworks and the students were also consuming the hand-pumped water.
- In the past 28 years, neither the capacity of these waterworks had been increased nor the water supply technique changed.
- With the condition of waterworks becoming worse and groundwater level dipping, residents of the nearby villages are facing an acute water shortage here.
2 informal Used to refer to the shedding of tears: she is an expert at turning on the waterworks to manipulate others
More example sentences
- And she'll turn on the waterworks if the deals backfire.
- I know children will turn on the waterworks if the adults get all dramatic.
- A barking mad pooch has tapped into fame with his ability to turn on the waterworks.
Words that rhyme with waterworkscalx
Definition of waterworks in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan