Definition of waterworks in English:
1 [treated as singular] An establishment for managing a water supply.
- Sources said that almost all schools in the village did not get water supply from the waterworks and the students were also consuming the hand-pumped water.
- In the past 28 years, neither the capacity of these waterworks had been increased nor the water supply technique changed.
- With the condition of waterworks becoming worse and groundwater level dipping, residents of the nearby villages are facing an acute water shortage here.
2 informal Used to refer to the shedding of tears: she is an expert at turning on the waterworks to manipulate others
More example sentences
- And she'll turn on the waterworks if the deals backfire.
- I know children will turn on the waterworks if the adults get all dramatic.
- A barking mad pooch has tapped into fame with his ability to turn on the waterworks.
Definition of waterworks in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.