Definition of waxbill in English:
A small, finchlike Old World songbird, typically brightly colored and with a red bill that resembles sealing wax in color.
- Family Estrildidae (the waxbill family): several genera, especially Estrilda, and several species. The waxbill family also includes the avadavats, mannikins, cordon-bleu, Java sparrow, zebra finch, etc., many popular as cage birds
- About 20 koi carp, worth more than £1,000, were killed, and between 20 and 30 finches, canaries, waxbills and Java sparrows were allowed to escape.
- Common waxbills are small African finches that select carnivore scat as a material to include in, on, and around their nests.
- An indignant Cape robin and a sweet waxbill soon followed - each weighing a few grams.
Definition of waxbill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan