Definition of waxbill in English:
A small, finchlike Old World songbird, typically brightly colored and with a red bill that resembles sealing wax in color.
- Family Estrildidae (the waxbill family): several genera, especially Estrilda, and several species. The waxbill family also includes the avadavats, mannikins, cordon-bleu, Java sparrow, zebra finch, etc., many popular as cage birds
- About 20 koi carp, worth more than £1,000, were killed, and between 20 and 30 finches, canaries, waxbills and Java sparrows were allowed to escape.
- Common waxbills are small African finches that select carnivore scat as a material to include in, on, and around their nests.
- An indignant Cape robin and a sweet waxbill soon followed - each weighing a few grams.
Words that rhyme with waxbillhwyl • bank bill • handbill
Definition of waxbill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.