Definition of waxwork in English:
1A lifelike dummy modeled in wax.
- The singer was speaking at the unveiling of a waxwork model of himself at Madam Tussaud's in London.
- It's there in the lyrics of Christina Aguilera, the styling of Britney Spears and even the poses of mannequins in Madame Tussaud's (where a waxwork of Kylie Minogue depicts her on all fours with her bottom poking into the air).
- The game show hostess with the acid tongue was ‘delighted’ at her inclusion in the original London exhibition - and even provided one of her TV outfits for the waxwork, which it still wears.
1.1 (waxworks) [treated as singular] An exhibition of wax dummies.
- Madame Tussaud's waxworks has been exhibiting a Nativity scene that depicts the footballer David Beckham as Joseph and his popstar wife, Victoria, as the Virgin Mary.
- He helped create and expand the Bastille legend, exhibiting in his waxworks insurgents, released prisoners, and a model of the fortress, carved from its ‘last’ stone.
- An astonishing 500 million people have visited the world-famous waxworks since it was founded in the early 19th century.
Words that rhyme with waxworkpatchwork • handwork
Definition of waxwork in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan