Definition of waxwork in English:
1A lifelike dummy modeled in wax.
- The singer was speaking at the unveiling of a waxwork model of himself at Madam Tussaud's in London.
- It's there in the lyrics of Christina Aguilera, the styling of Britney Spears and even the poses of mannequins in Madame Tussaud's (where a waxwork of Kylie Minogue depicts her on all fours with her bottom poking into the air).
- The game show hostess with the acid tongue was ‘delighted’ at her inclusion in the original London exhibition - and even provided one of her TV outfits for the waxwork, which it still wears.
1.1 (waxworks) [treated as singular] An exhibition of wax dummies.
- Madame Tussaud's waxworks has been exhibiting a Nativity scene that depicts the footballer David Beckham as Joseph and his popstar wife, Victoria, as the Virgin Mary.
- He helped create and expand the Bastille legend, exhibiting in his waxworks insurgents, released prisoners, and a model of the fortress, carved from its ‘last’ stone.
- An astonishing 500 million people have visited the world-famous waxworks since it was founded in the early 19th century.
Definition of waxwork in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.