Definition of wayang in English:
1(In Indonesia and Malaysia) a theatrical performance employing puppets or human dancers.
- One of the significant breakthroughs Poedijono made is his use of English in his wayang (puppet show) performances.
- At the end of the wayang, Twalen and Merdah advise that the ten elements of peace - earth, water, fire, wind, plants, animals, fish, birds, humans and God - must be cherished, nurtured and controlled.
- Wayang is not something reserved to scholars or court people; every villager knows the wayang, uses its example to educate or chastise children, and has his or her own favourite character.
1.1 (also wayang kulit) A Javanese and Balinese shadow puppet play.
- But nevertheless, when speaking about that I think it is helpful to make reference to something that is very meaningful, such as the wayang kulit (Javanese shadow puppet) stories.
- Likewise, when you are in the Semar-Bagong Park, you feel as if you are somewhere in Central Java, the land of wayang shadow puppets.
- It was indeed an unusual opening dialog for a wayang performance; one that would never be found in conventional Javanese wayang.
Definition of wayang in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan