- 1A small beetle with an elongated snout, the larvae of which typically develop inside seeds, stems, or other plant parts. Many are pests of crops or stored foodstuffs. Also called snout beetle.
More example sentences
- Curculionidae and other families in the superfamily Curculionoidea: numerous genera
- Weevils bore through the stem and eat the pith within, and beetle larvae bore through the roots.
- Although they are more usually a problem with plants grown in pots, vine weevils will attack plants growing out in the garden.
- I was surprised when the Royal Horticultural Society named the vine weevil as the worst pest in the garden last year.
- 1.1 • informal Any small insect that damages stored grain.More example sentences
- Why was nothing was done to fumigate the grain and protect it from weevils?
Old English wifel 'beetle', from a Germanic base meaning 'move briskly'.
More definitions of weevilDefinition of weevil in:
- The British & World English dictionary