Definition of welfare state in English:
1A system whereby the government undertakes to protect the health and well-being of its citizens, especially those in financial or social need, by means of grants, pensions, and other benefits. The foundations for the modern welfare state in the US were laid by the New Deal programs of President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- Concessions made to the working class included a considerable welfare state and decent public services.
- The German government feared Americanization of the health sector and financial instability for the welfare state in general.
- National Insurance Contributions are used to fund parts of the welfare state, including pensions and the NHS.
1.1A country practicing a welfare state system.
- But it's common sense that welfare states then need someone else to support so many pensioners.
- Simply stated, market-oriented East European countries are going to impose enormous competitive pressure on high-tax welfare states…
- Central European countries such as Poland, the Czech Republic, and Hungary have become ‘premature welfare states.’
Definition of welfare state in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.