literary The sky or heaven.
More example sentences
- When the welkin had ceased to ring with their laughter and screeches, it was customary to join forces and proceed arm-in-arm to spend the evening in the town.
- The loud noise of rushing elephants resembled the roars of the clouds in the welkin, in the season of rains.
Old English wolcen 'cloud, sky'; related to Dutch wolk and German Wolke.
make the welkin ring
- Make a very loud sound: the crew made the welkin ring with its hurrahsMore example sentences
- Jewish speakers made the welkin ring with laudation of Nathan Straus and maledictions upon James Bennett.
- A large crowd was on the piers to witness her departure, and they made the welkin ring with their cheers.
- Mark and his companions made the welkin ring with their shouts at the old man's answer.
Definition of welkin in:
- The British & World English dictionary