- 1(Of a task or undertaking) carried out successfully or satisfactorily: the decoration is very well done [postpositive]: the satisfaction of a job well doneMore example sentences
- Do readers really care how we got the story, or will they be satisfied with a well-done piece itself?
- This film is, hands-down, one of the most successful examples of well-done visual effects in cinema ever.
- Last Sunday I watched an exceptionally well-done TV documentary featuring the plight of school-age children of migrant workers.
- 2(Of meat) thoroughly cooked: well-done roast beefMore example sentences
- We used to be able to eat our meat without it being well-done and cooked to a certain internal temperature.
- Now she sat in a small, rather dirty tavern, pretending the meat in front of her was a well-done steak.
- I asked for a well-done steak and it turned up just as I ordered, well presented, along with one of those little salad bowls that arrives drowned in thousand island dressing, regrettably too sweet and too much.
exclamationBack to top
- Used to express congratulation or approval: Well done—you’ve worked very hard!More example sentences
- This was an excellent result for their first outing so congratulations and well done.
- Congratulations and well done to all who helped to make the evening such a success.
- Congratulations and well done to all and best of luck to them for the coming year.
More definitions of well doneDefinition of well done in:
- The British & World English dictionary