- 1A leather rim sewn around the edge of a shoe upper to which the sole is attached.More example sentences
- There was the outline, and around this outline ran a well-defined sewn thread which had, it appeared, attached the welt to the sole.
- The once sealed welts have cracks, and as for the ‘uppers’, well, enough of this nonsense…
- The big change is a frame designed along an asymmetrical last to more closely fit the anatomical sole of a boot and lock more tightly into the boot welts.
- 1.1A ribbed, reinforced, or decorative border of a garment or pocket.More example sentences
- Elegant embellishments such as freeform beading, tiered tassels, piping insertions filled with fine rattail cord and pockets tailored with contrast welts are among his trademarks.
- Pleats, piping, pocket welts, pocket flaps, top-stitched yokes all look wonderful in linen.
- It has a three-button continental placket with polished agate buttons, a knit collar welt, sleeve bands, and a hemmed bottom with side vents.
- 2A red, swollen mark left on flesh by a blow or pressure.More example sentences
- Alma remembered every second of those nights, how powerless she felt when she saw him beside her, his skin swollen with welts.
- The red welt already swelling over the palm of his left hand felt as though it was covered in acid, and he wanted to shove it under the water in an effort to rinse the burning away.
- A large welt had swelled upon his head, but to his credit the blow hadn't caused him to bleed.
verb[with object] Back to top
- 2Strike (someone or something) hard and heavily: I could have welted herMore example sentences
- As the American welted the ball for all he was worth, Stepanek scampered across the baseline and belted it back for a winner.
- Perhaps he was taking Martin too lightly, but once he had settled down and stopped trying to welt the ball, he always had the edge in a close first set.
- Before I could think twice, his familiar black leather belt was welting me across my body.
- 2.1 [no object] Develop a raised scar: his lip was beginning to thicken and welt from the blowMore example sentences
- Danny started scratching his neck again and he knew that under his gray turtleneck, his skin was now blotchy, welted and pink.
- The girl had taken a long look at herself in the mirror before deciding she wasn't bruised or welted or anything.
- She knew that her back now looked like a mass of red, welted, flesh with deep slashes caused by the whip.
late Middle English: of unknown origin.