- A gymnospermous plant of desert regions in southwestern Africa that has a dwarf, massive trunk, two long strap-shaped leaves, and male and female flowers in the scales of scarlet cones. It is remarkable for its ability to extract moisture from fog.
More example sentences
- Genus Welwitschia, family Welwitschiaceae: one species, W. mirabilis
- Here you find the most extreme desert adapted fauna and flora including Hartmann's Mountain zebra, chameleons, 1,000 year old welwitschia and quiver trees.
- A single pair of leaves is the sum total of the foliage that welwitschias produce in their lifetime.
- The Centre is also monitoring a population of welwitschias further upriver, at the site of the old Hope copper mine.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, named after Friedrich Welwitsch (1806–72), Austrian botanist.
More definitions of welwitschiaDefinition of welwitschia in:
- The British & World English dictionary