Definition of westernize in English:
verb[with object] (usually be westernized)
1Cause (a country, person, or system) to adopt or be influenced by the cultural, economic, or political systems of Europe and North America: the agreement provided for the legal system to be westernized (as adjective westernized) the more westernized parts of the city
More example sentences
- Peter attempted to modernize and westernize the country militarily, administratively, economically, and culturally, often through the use of force.
- The country managed to maintain its independence because the kings realized that their country could only escape Western control by developing and westernizing the country.
- It has become increasingly unpopular in the United States, Australia and other westernized countries to import goods from countries with sweatshops.
1.1 [no object] Be in the process of adopting or being influenced by the systems of the West: (as adjective westernizing) a westernizing tribe
More example sentences
- What's more, she provides a look at New Delhi as the city westernizes into a circus of cellphones, saris, golf foursomes, hennaed hands and shiny cars.
- Myong-dong and Namdaemun market offer a glimpse of traditional daily life but have become highly westernized with most of their items for sale being more western than Korean.
- The music soundtracks have an R&B feel, and are blatantly more westernised.
- Example sentences
- At a time when cultural events influenced by westernisation are fast becoming more popular among the younger generation, there is a growing concern that ancient and traditional arts would slowly fade away.
- He believes that describing Indian youths as westernised is wrong, because despite outward westernisation, they have a deep yearning for Indian culture.
- Underneath the veneer of westernisation there is a hugely abundant and powerful cultural tradition that won't die out and is in fact also influencing us in the west.
Pronunciation: /ˌwestərnəˈzāSH(ə)n/ /ˌwestərˌnīˈzāSH(ə)n/noun
Definition of westernize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan