Definition of wheatear in English:
A mainly Eurasian and African songbird related to the chats, with black and buff or black and white plumage and a white rump.
- Genus Oenanthe, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae: several species, in particular the gray-backed northern wheatear (O. oenanthe), found in the arctic barrens of Eurasia and northeastern Canada
- Skylarks, wheatears, pipits and greylag geese fill any silences that remain.
- Other species such as the wheatear, ring ouzel, and sandwich tern have all been observed about one week earlier than usual.
- The name wheatears comes from the Anglo-Saxon.
Words that rhyme with wheatearmeteor
Definition of wheatear in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.