- A simple lifting machine consisting of a rope that unwinds from a wheel onto a cylindrical drum or shaft joined to the wheel to provide mechanical advantage.More example sentences
- Since it doesn't know how to guide a locomotive around curves, it has to go - into the Ogden Shops spare parts pool, complete with its wheels and axles, springs and equalizers.
- A prudent employer in the position of the defendant should have properly equipped its vehicles for the carrying out of emergency roadside repairs to the wheels and axles of its low loader.
- He reappears to announce that about three metres down on the river bed he has discovered a complete bogie - two pairs of wheels and axles - from the train.
More definitions of wheel and axleDefinition of wheel and axle in:
- The British & World English dictionary