Definition of whet in English:
verb (whets, whetting, whetted)[with object]
1Sharpen the blade of (a tool or weapon): she took out her dagger and began to whet its blade in even, rhythmic strokes
1.1Excite or stimulate (someone’s desire, interest, or appetite): here’s an extract to whet your appetite
More example sentences
- A house suited for quiet family life but within an hour of Dublin whets the appetite of country loving commuters.
- Just to whet our appetites, and to make us more appreciative of history in the making.
- I hope I've whetted your appetite without giving away too many details, so that you will consider picking up this book yourself - after all, it's out in paperback at the beginning of February.
nounarchaic Back to top
- ( rare )Example sentences
- The action of the lower tushes rubbing against the upper whetters is called ‘whetting.’
- The tusks on the barrs that I have seen are very thick and seem to hold up fine with the whetters intact.
- An adjustment device automatically varies the positions of the knife so that the knife engages the whetter more or less constantly.
Words that rhyme with whetabet, aiguillette, anisette, Annette, Antoinette, arête, Arlette, ate, baguette, banquette, barbette, barrette, basinet, bassinet, beget, Bernadette, beset, bet, Bette, blanquette, Brett, briquette, brochette, brunette (US brunet), Burnett, cadet, caravanette, cassette, castanet, charette, cigarette (US cigaret), clarinet, Claudette, Colette, coquette, corvette, couchette, courgette, croquette, curette, curvet, Debrett, debt, dinette, diskette, duet, epaulette (US epaulet), flageolet, flannelette, forget, fret, galette, gazette, Georgette, get, godet, grisette, heavyset, Jeanette, jet, kitchenette, La Fayette, landaulet, launderette, layette, lazaret, leatherette, let, Lett, lorgnette, luncheonette, lunette, Lynette, maisonette, majorette, maquette, Marie-Antoinette, marionette, Marquette, marquisette, martinet, met, minaret, minuet, moquette, motet, musette, Nanette, net, noisette, nonet, novelette, nymphet, octet, Odette, on-set, oubliette, Paulette, pet, Phuket, picquet, pillaret, pincette, pipette, piquet, pirouette, planchette, pochette, quartet, quickset, quintet, regret, ret, Rhett, roomette, rosette, roulette, satinette, septet, serviette, sestet, set, sett, sextet, silhouette, soubrette, spinet, spinneret, statuette, stet, stockinet, sublet, suffragette, Suzette, sweat, thickset, threat, Tibet, toilette, tret, underlet, upset, usherette, vedette, vet, vignette, vinaigrette, wagonette, wet, winceyette, yet, Yvette
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.