Definition of whip pan in English:
A camera panning movement fast enough to give a blurred picture.
- Beyond the fantastic title sequence (pay close attention to shot of the Lady Luck Casino) and opening tracking shot, the film is all whip-pans and quick zooms, crane shots and still images, deep focus and forced perspectives.
- This sequence is where Tarantino gets his style-stealing freak on, borrowing the whip-pans and smash-zooms popular in martial arts films of the '70s.
verb(whip-pan) [no object] Back to top
Pan quickly to give a blurred picture.
- With each successive feature, Tony Scott's MTV-inspired style, which includes jump-cuts, whip-pans, and all sorts of other herky-jerky camera tricks, grows more extreme.
- Here is a world that jumps from the intensity of extreme close-ups to sudden whip-pans and boundless wide-shots, reflecting the disjointed, seemingly irrational perspective of the child.
- But there are others which take you into the thick of war, such as one in which a cameraman is filming from a vantage point, whip-panning to catch explosions he clearly has no idea are coming.
Definition of whip pan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.