A North and Central American nightjar with a distinctive call.
- Caprimulgus vociferus, family Caprimulgidae
More example sentences
- A distant relative of the whippoorwill, the potoo feeds mainly at night, opening its short, curved bill very wide to sweep up flying insects.
- We even visited the walkway at night with the good fortune of looking down on one of the rarest birds of our trip, a brown nightjar, a not too distant relative of our whippoorwill, but a very rare and little-known bird.
- The area's forests, grasslands, scrublands, and pine barrens will now be managed to protect the public water supply and habitat for wildlife such as whippoorwills, upland sandpipers, and eastern box turtles.
early 18th century: imitative of its call.
Definition of whippoorwill in:
- The British & World English dictionary