exclamationchiefly Scottish, Irish
Hush (used to demand silence): “Whisht, child. Away and do what you’re told.”
More example sentences
- In the shelter people were singing and the children were making a noise and one old lady would say "Wheesht, wheesht, they'll hear ya!".
natural exclamation: first recorded in English in the mid 16th century.
hold one's whisht
- Keep silent.More example sentences
- He may also have held his whisht because the officer behind the new explanation is his son.
- If he doesn't fully accept it then at least he has the manners to hold his whisht!
Definition of whisht in:
- The British & World English dictionary