A long-legged duck with an upright stance and a whistling call, often perching on branches. Also called tree duck.
- Genus Dendrocygna, family Anatidae: several species
More example sentences
- Apart from the ducks already mentioned there were some Bronzewinged Jacanas, Little grebes, Coots, Spotbilled and Lesser whistling ducks.
- There are nature sites with viewing platforms overlooking wild iguanas, egrets, West Indian whistling ducks, and many other birds.
- Flocks of magpie geese and whistling ducks, startled by the outboard, take to the air shattering the early morning silence with their calls.
Definition of whistling duck in:
- The British & World English dictionary