- 1A person expected to bring much success to a group or organization: he was the great white hope for many kids trapped in bad livesMore example sentences
- Suede were the great white hope of indie rock for a while; everyone was expecting them to fill in the gap left by the Smiths.
- Maybe some of our stars aren't running so well at the moment so he is now the great white hope!
- Having been rejected by the Tories, the man formerly regarded as the great white hope of the British right has refused all interviews and even turned down a request from the student newspaper.
- 1.1Formerly, a white boxer believed by fans to be able to beat a black champion.More example sentences
- When Johnson beat white hope Jim Jefferies that there were 14 lynchings.
- In 1995, Peter McNeeley, another manufactured white hope, was demolished in ninety seconds by Mike Tyson.
- Since Johnson had beaten every credible white contender, there was little discussion of another white hope in the newspapers following the fight.
More definitions of white hopeDefinition of white hope in:
- The British & World English dictionary