Definition of white knight in English:
1A person or thing that comes to someone’s aid.
- The novel's hero, Justin Quayle, becomes ever more the white knight, superb and incorruptible in his quest.
- Of course, when you are a blonde bombshell, there are bound to be white knights coming out of the old-world woodwork.
- Like nurses they are white knights in a society over-dominated by people obsessed purely with their own needs.
1.1A person or company making an acceptable counteroffer for a company facing a hostile takeover bid.
- Britain's biggest bank, HSBC, is being pressed to act as a white knight by Abbey shareholders unhappy at the £8 billion takeover by Banco Santander Central Hispano of Spain.
- He stepped into a takeover battle as a white knight and emerged as majority owner of an old and underperforming mine in Ontario.
- A potential acquirer who outbids a white knight in an unfriendly takeover attempt.
Definition of white knight in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.