nounMusic , North American
- A note having the time value of two half notes or four quarter notes, represented by a ring with no stem. It is the longest note now in common use. Also called semibreve.More example sentences
- For people who might look at the score, with its long held whole notes and wonder where the music is, I can tell you that it is in the living, trembling, vibrating sounds that these dots are converted into performance.
- Students will first begin by identifying which color M&Ms represent which notes: an eighth note, a quarter note, a half note, and a whole note (the pretzels will be the stems).
- If the strings were given anything to play besides extended whole notes, I didn't hear it.
More definitions of whole noteDefinition of whole note in:
- The British & World English dictionary